April 15, 1940
At the regular meeting of the Board of Fire Commissioners the election of Art Meadows to Chief, J. Strickroth to First Assistant Chief and H. VanNostrand to Second Assistant Chief was approved. The newly elected officers were to assume their respective positions at 12:01 AM May 1, 1940.
September 29, 1940 – New Mack Pumper
A special meeting of the Board of Fire Commissioners was held on the above date for the purpose of discussing the purchase of a new fire pumper. The new pumper was to replace the Dodge pumper. Representatives of Mack Trucks attended the meeting with Blue Prints, photos and specifications of the latest type 750-gallon pumpers. Further discussions were held on March 24, 1941 at a special meeting of the Board. It was resolved that a meeting of qualified voters be held on the 28th day of April, 1941 for the purpose of appropriating the sum of $10,000 to replace the old Dodge. On June 2, 1941, a Mack, Type 80, 750 GPM, semi-cab, 200 gallon Booster Truck Engine was purchased for $8,100. Mack allowed a $904.00 discount for the old Dodge.
April 21, 1941
Three additional Fire Alarm boxes were approved and an additional fire siren was ordered installed on the south side of Clark Street, 100 feet west of Washington Avenue. For a period of time, there was also a fire siren installed in the Nassau County Park located at Washington Avenue and Jerusalem Avenue
Also, on April 21, 1941, the Board of Fire Commissioners rules that newly elected officers must be successful graduates of the Fire School before being approved by the Fire Commissioners. The present three chiefs … A. Meadows, J. Strickroth and H. Van Nostrand were exempt from this requirement. As a matter of information the Fireman’s School was a division of the Nassau County Board of Vocational Education and Extension Board.