Charles Kiefer now serves as fire commissioner but also holds officers rank within the Fire Company.
January 21, 1931
A special meeting of the fire district was convened to discuss the purchase of a new chassis to replace the present Packard chassis owned by the Fire Company. By unanimous vote the commissioners agreed to purchase a new Dodge chassis from Haff Motors of Seaford for $945.00 delivered. The plan was to shift the Packard body to the new Dodge chassis. The plan was approved and the Seaford Hook, Ladder and Engine Co. # 1 was paid $25.00 by the fire district for the old Packard truck. On April 20, 1931 it was recorded that the old Packard chassis was sold to Mr. Theodore Bedell for$10.00. On May 18, 1931 the new Dodge truck was placed into service.
September 21, 1931
At a regular meeting of the Fire District, a group accident insurance policy was purchased for the protection of the members of the Seaford Hook Ladder & Engine Co. #1 for a principal sum of $3,000, with $20.00 per week indemnity and $20.00 per week for hospital confinement. The insurance was to cost the Fire District $238.75 for one year. It should be noted that the Fire District considers the Seaford Hook Ladder & Engine Co. #1 as the Fire Department, this, of course, would change in years to come.
November 16, 1931
The fire commissioners at their regular monthly meeting voted to repair the old fire gong, 200 feet of hose was purchased and a new fire well was to be driven on Washington Avenue, 995 feet south of Jerusalem Ave. Chief Stahle reported one still alarm since last meeting.
March 21, 1932
A communication from the Wantagh Fire District was read concerning boundary line agreements. The agreement was returned to Wantagh without being signed. There were many boundary line disagreements with the Wantagh Fire Department since 1903. The Fire Company prior to 1924 had requested that Wantagh respect our boundary line agreements even to the point of obtaining legal counsel to address the issue.
April 18, 1932
At the Fire District meeting, a motion was made and seconded that a committee of one be appointed to investigate the possibility of having a telephone line connected to the siren. On May 16, 1932, the installation of a telephone line was approved.
June 20, 1932
A committee of taxpayers from Merrick Road appeared before the commissioners requesting that the Fire District take over the fire hydrants on Merrick Road. The request was laid over for further discussion. On July 18, 1932, the fire district secretary was instructed to inform Mr. Frank Raynor that the fire district could not take over the fire hydrants without a public vote. Fire wells were the primary source of water supply for our district in 1932.
March 20, 1933
Chief Stahle reports two fire alarms since last meeting.
May 15, 1933
Records indicate that C. Kiefer is serving as both a fire department captain and as a fire district commissioner.
November 20, 1933
The drivers and lieutenants of the fire department appeared before the Board of Fire Commissioners to request that windshields be installed on the trucks. The committee of drivers was asked to obtain more information and present same at the next commissioners meeting which they did. Open cabs were common in the fire service at this time and even into the 1950’s. This practice was a tradition and served no practical purpose. On January 15, 1934, this issue was laid over due to financial conditions and final approval to have Mack International Truck Company install windshields on the American LaFrance and two Dodges was made on August 19, 1935.
January 15, 1934
The application of S.N. Harwood for membership into the Seaford Hook Ladder & Engine Co. #1 was read and approved by the Fire District. Mr. Harwood (Sam) was a former member of the Seaford Harbor Fire Department, an independent fire company within the Wantagh Fire District, joined our fire department after the Seaford Harbor Fire Company disbanded. Sam Harwood was the father of Roger Harwood, a Dispatcher in the Wantagh Fire Department and grandfather to present Senior Dispatcher Roger Harwood, also of the Wantagh Fire District.
Also on this date, the Fire Commissioners accepted the Advisory Board’s report to appoint a Deputy Chief. Motion was made and carried to appoint Captain Charles Kiefer Deputy Chief for the year 1934. It appears that Charles Kiefer continued to serve as both Commissioner and now Deputy Chief.
On March 19, 1934, the Advisor Board recommends the appointment of a Second Deputy Chief. Commissioner Henry Haff was appointed by the Commissioners to the position of Second Deputy Chief.
January 15, 1935
Purchase of new Hook and Ladder Truck … At a special meeting, Mr. C. Haff appeared before the Board of Fire Commissioners with specifications for a Dodge Hook and Ladder Truck. Frank Howland of the Woodhouse Manufacturing Company also appeared before the Board. A roll call vote was held and all commissioners agreed to purchase a Mack Model 50 Hook and Ladder at a purchase price of $5616.87. This new truck would replace Seaford’s original Hook and Ladder that was originally pulled by a horse before being mounted by the Fire Company on a motorized chassis.
January 21, 1935
Board of Fire Commissioners moved and seconded that W. Stahle be elected Chief. C. Kiefer, Deputy Chief, H. Haff, Assistant Chief. Both Kiefer and Haff are serving as Commissioners.
March 18, 1935
The Advisory Board of the Seaford Hook Ladder & Engine Company #1 reported to the Board of Fire Commissioners that the company has appointed members as Fire Police.
Also on this date, Chief Stahley reported the following: Two still alarms, February 22, a grass fire on Jackson Avenue and Sunrise Highway; and on March 5, another grass fire on Jackson Avenue, Sunrise Highway. There were two regular alarms on March 15 … overheated oil stove fire at Will Wanser’s house located on Seamans Neck Road and Waverly Avenue, Damage $5.00, and a grass fire on Seamans Neck Road and Tiana Street. The Chief further reports all apparatus in working order.
Also of importance on this date was the purchase by the Fire District of an American Flag and a Fire District Flag from Annin and Company of New York for the purchase price of $53.75.
October 21, 1935
At a regular meeting of the Board of Fire Commissioners, Chief Stahley reported that a test of the school’s fire alarm system and hose was conducted on October 5th. The Chief found two valves in bad condition and the pressure on the fire tank regulated to cut in and fill the tank at about 30 pounds pressure. The hose was found to be in bad condition and it was recommended that new hose been purchased with couplings interchangeable with our fire department couplings. It would appear that the school, the Jackson Avenue School, was equipped with a stand pipe system.
February 17, 1936
Howard Weeks requested that he be buried in his uniform. Howard Weeks was already dead.
May 13, 1936
At a special meeting of the Board of Fire Commissioners, a new siren with a deeper tone was purchased from the Federal Electric Company. The old siren was sold to the North Merrick Fire Department for $75.00.
February 15, 1937
At a fire district meeting, it was reported that the by-laws of the Seaford Hook Ladder and Engine Company #1 were being revised. The Fire Commissioners requested that the by-laws Committee incorporate the following law therein: That any fireman deserving to advance to a Line Officer must have at least two years’ experience as an active fireman.
November 15, 1937 (F A System)
The Fire Commissioners on this date voted to withdraw $4,000 from the Seaford National Bank to a fund known as the Seaford Fire District Special Fund. The Special Fund was for the construction of a Fire Alarm system within the Seaford Fire District. On June 3, 1938, Littlefield and Alger were awarded the Fire Alarm contract. The contract was signed on July 13, 1938.
The system consisted of three zones, North – Middle – South. The system was a battery powered loop system with ground return. Each pull box when activated would tap out a code at the firehouse and activate the fire siren. As time went on, air horns were added to the system at headquarters and the North and South Zones. The ability for a resident to phone in an emergency was later incorporated in to the alarm system.
During the term of Chief Robert Powell the firebox alarm system was discontinued.
August 15, 1938
At a regular meeting of the Board of Fire Commissioners, a contract for adding an extension to the truck house was awarded to the lowest bidder, Ketchum and Birchard. Mr. Van Nostrand was authorized to do the electrical work.
March 20, 1939
At a regular meeting of the Board of Fire Commissioners, Wesley Weeks was asked to report to the next Commissioners meeting to be placed on the active list as a houseman.
April 17, 1939
The Board of Fire Commissioners approved the election of Charles Kiefer to Chief, A. Meadows to First Assistant Chief and John H. Strickroth to Second Asst. Chief. Charles Kiefer was still serving as a Fire Commissioner.